Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dumbfoundead - Night Riders

DUMFOUNDEAD is a Korean American rapper from Koreatown and the person I chose for my booster story. He has been rapping since he was fourteen-years-old, which makes him no newbie to the art of rapping. Dumbfoundead is my definition of a true "booster" because he has made LA a part of him and his identity. Finding inspiration from his surroundings, environment, and the people he meets in Los Angeles, he takes Los Angeles and uses it as inspiration to create art and music. What I truly found fascinating was how he seeks inspiration from his surroundings. Instead of sitting around his house thinking of new ideas to rap about, he told me that he loves to get out of his house, walk around the streets he grew up from, bike around MacArthur Park, and even sit on a bus to go around Los Angeles. In his interview he said, "Sometimes, I grab a jacket, a pen, some paper, and my iPod and I just find a bus to sit on. People think I'm weird for this, but I ask the person sitting nearest to me to pick a number from one to ten. Let's say the person chooses five. I shuffle through my music and listen to five songs with my eyes closed. After the last song ends, I open my eyes and get off the bus. [Laughing] Even though I don't know where the heck I am, I find my way around Los Angeles, meeting all kinds of people...crazy, weird, and normals ones too. I observe new places I have never been and find my inspiration from my experiences and surroundings because I love Los Angeles". What an interesting guy, right?! I posted one of his music videos below called "Night Riders". Even though his budget for this shoot was low, he still managed to create something great. I love how he uses and sings about certain places in LA, while also taking you there as well. I hope you enjoy his music and talent. This music video does have some vulgar language so please listen at your own discretion!


2 comments:

  1. Stephanie,

    I think this guy sounds really good. What I really liked most about the music video was that he and his friends rode around on bikes. We think of L.A. as such a car city; everyone has a car and even carpooling is a rarity. The "cruise control" on the "chariots of fire" meshes a fairly new idea in the automobile industry with antiquity and chariot rides. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! Isn't it fascinating how we take for granted the places we see everyday? Koreatown, the Staples Center, and even the tunnels they ride their bikes through are all places I see everyday. I take for granted the beauty of it all until I see it in music videos like these. These types of music videos that show bits and pieces of LA make me feel so proud to be an Angeleno and proud to say that I've been there...Don't you?

    ReplyDelete