Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Incognitos of LA




LIVING in a city where celebrities are revered and paparazzi are everywhere, it’s hard for say, a professional athlete to keep a low profile. Though not on the A-list, athletes are paid well and everyone including celebrities love to take a quick pic with a really tall and athletic guy. Acting like it’s everyday they get to sit courtside and chat it up during half time.

Growing up in Southern California, my dad has groomed me well to love the Lakers. He even talks about the times when he went to LMU and the Lakers practice on our court. While I was getting packed for my study abroad semester to Spain, my dad made sure to have me throw in my Pau Gasol jersey because as he put it, “everyone loves him there”. Much to his surprise, the Spanish are not really obsessed with celebrities like we are here.

Living by LAX and being an avid US Weekly reader, I always see the latest celeb to grace the baggage claim area and be swiped away by an awaiting town car. Knowing the paparazzi are waiting to get even the smallest glimpse, celebrities are forced to either throw on a ridiculous incognito outfit or dress to the nines. Neither of which can be too comfortable on a long flight. The other night, a rare event occurred. Having not seen too many celebrities up close and personal, I was graced by the enormous presence of Mr. Pau Gasol and his friends. Dressed in my pajamas with two friends, I did not know what to do. My friend Lauren was screeching because she was the first to see him from her car window. In a quick instant, I decided that I would talk to this guy whose jersey I rep occasionally. I mean, why not? Sharing this with Lauren, she shoots out of the car, calling his name as if they are good friends. Jogging behind her, I walk up to the largest man I have ever seen in my life. TV does not do him justice. Deciding that I do not need to be snapped in my pjs, I take Lauren’s picture. Though Pau does not look ecstatic, he gracefully takes a picture and says goodnight.

Scurrying back to our car, the last in line for In N Out, we leave happy. I wonder if this is what the paparazzi feel like everyday? Though these are just people too, it was a bit of a rush. I think it’s really ironic that though tourists drive around Hollywood all day in hopes of a mere glimpse of a celebrity, it is in our everyday restaurants and shops that these people exist. Because really, everyone has to eat.

Check out the proof: --Jessica Fernandez

(photo credit: jessica fernandez)

1 comment:

  1. Look at Lauren's SMILE. She could light up the whole Westside with that one! Celebrity is a weird thing here: I used to work in a bookstore in Century City when I was a student at LMU and celebrities came in all the time and you couldn't blink an eye. One woman I worked with, however, burst into tears when Rod Stewart walked into the store. He saw it and promptly turned around and walked out.
    -- L.G.

    ReplyDelete