Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Electric Los Angeles

In A Bronx Tale the young protagonist Cologono, or 'C' as the Mafia kingpin Sunny dubs him, says he reaps the benefit of getting two educations - one in the classroom and with his parents, the other with Sunny and his crew. While I can't quite compare to C in his, well, Italian-ness, I dig what he says about the dual education. Arguably everyone leads a 'double life' - it's healthy to have multiple interests.

I split time between my life in school, and my life in the music industry/business/scene. Since arriving in LA mid-2007 I've been to every electronic show, party, club and event possible. The business aspect of the music industry became a passion my sophomore year, and since then I've tried to engage every internship, collaboration, project and endeavor with ultimate zeal.

The following are, in my mind, the most influential record labels in the LA electronic music scene at the moment: Mad Decent, SMOG LA, Dim Mak and Proximal Records.

-- Ryan Cavalier
image via headzwillrollnyc.com

1 comment: