Thursday, April 28, 2011

Arroz y Frijoles - A Reflection

EVERY Angeleno has eaten rice and beans. Individually, or combined, the food-pair sustains a huge part of the world - Asia, South/Central America, North America (by means of burrito), etc. Rice and Beans are BIG into sustaining the globe and its ever-expansive population. When I sit here, in my Westchester home, in all my privilege, reduced to rice and beans by way of frivolity, I feel, at my base, the old Los Angeles, The Olvera Street, the little Mexico - come to me. Maybe I'm over-receptive to the notion that you are what you eat, but sincerely, I feel on par with much of Los Angeles, and the world as a whole, as a result of eating a meager brunch. Imagine what'll happen when I step outside!

--Ryan Cavalier
Photo Credit: "El Paseo De Los Angeles" c. 1841
Zilf's Flikr Photostream

No comments:

Post a Comment