Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Claire Ensey -- Genius Loci




This photo was taken at the Promenade at Howard Hughes Center around sunset. It wasn't very dark out yet, but the lights were already brightly lighting up the entire center. To me, this picture is the essence of Los Angeles because of the colored lights, clear sky and tall buildings in the left corner. The neon lights at Howard Hughes kind of remind me of a video game or arcade. Every sign is a different bright color and together it looks vivid and colorful. It reminds me of L.A. because L.A. is colorful and bright, full of excitement and creativity. A shopping center lighted up in this way might be ridiculous in another city, but it is perfect for Los Angeles.





This photo was taken on a street corner in Santa Monica near Third Street Promenade. The pole with the freeway and one way signs, along with the cars and trees in the background are the essence of L.A. Everyone knows that freeways and traffic are a big aspect of Los Angeles. This sign is L.A. to me because there are many of these all over the city and there are constantly "only" lanes that lead to a freeway or main street. There are usually three lanes on streets and arrows pointing in every direction telling you where to go. You don't find this in other cities that aren't as vast as L.A. This particular sign leads to the I-10 highway and Olympic Blvd., two busy areas in the city. The "One Way" sign is also funny because it is typical of how difficult it can be to get around in L.A. by car.






This photo was also taken near Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica. It is before you get to the Promenade and right across the street from the newly built Santa Monica Place. This building reminds me of Los Angeles because of the modernity of the architecture. It looks new and abstract, like it could be art. All around the building there are these panels in different colors that you can see some of in this picture. The building is very silver and metal looking, but then there are these colorful columns. It reminds me of the crazy architecture you can see in many parts of L.A. It also reminds me of Santa Monica because it is the Santa Monica Civic Center as it says on the sign. I have no idea what the exact purpose of the building is, but I saw it and immediately knew there was something essential about it.






This photo was taken on Main St. in Venice. I saw it and pulled over to take a picture unexpectedly because I had actually never noticed it before. When I saw it, it reminded me of L.A. because it is a random mural on a busy street. Murals are all over Los Angeles and especially Venice. This one says "you are beautiful" and it's huge. It's weird that I never saw it before because it's on Main St. in Venice, obviously meant for everyone to see. I like it because it's so different and pretty and inspirational. Where do you randomly see "you are beautiful" painted across an every day building on a main street in bright red and white? Los Angeles, of course.



This photo was taken around Rose St. in Venice. It's the side of the building of a pink Hindu Temple. It reminds me of L.A. because it is pink and stands out, but it's also a religious temple. The bikes against the building are also symbolic of Los Angeles because many people ride bikes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment