Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Pupu WHAT?


THE definition of a pupusa according to Wikipedia: A pupusa  (from Pipil pupusawa) is a traditional Salvadoran dish made of thick, hand-made corn tortilla that is usually filled with a blend of the following  cheese, cooked pork meat ground to a paste consistency, refried beans or queso con loroco (loroco is a vine flower bud from Central America). 
Why am I defining this, you ask? Because the other day on my luxurious one-hour lunch break with my new intern friend, I was introduced to this delicious meal. Figuring out what I was going to eat for lunch, I look to the other side of the street and am pleasantly surprised to see two food trucks. Seeing the word “PUPUSAS” spread across one of the trucks, I ask my friend if she’s ever heard of them. To my surprise she tells me that she is actually El Salvadorian and eats them all the time.

As we walk to the other side, she tells me more stories about her culture and though she is from Hollywood, to me, this girl seems like she is from a different place entirely. Getting out of my comfort zone, I decide to mimic her order, which also happened to be in fast Spanish. My wording did not seem as graceful though, as it tangled over my tongue. The guy in the window chuckles quietly at this obviously out of place situation. As we wait for the Pupusas, I notice that this little food truck even has a Twitter page. Impressed and dually noting to check out this new food later, I continue to talk with my new friend Maria.
Once we get our food, it becomes silent for a few minutes. As I slowly try out this mysteriously packaged food tiny piece by a somewhat larger piece each time I realize I really like it. At the next First Friday Food Truck Day in Venice, I will be sure to keep an eye out for the word Pupusa and this time, I’ll be able to be the more experienced food connoisseur that’ll impress all my friends.
--Jessica Fernandez

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of the Pu Pu platters I encountered as a child on visit to Hawaii..an unattractive name for a delicious meal. I cannot wait to try a pupusa, see you at First Friday!

    -Weston Finfer

    ReplyDelete