Friday, April 15, 2011

LA Weekly--Doyer Dog


T.G.I.F. Not only for obvious reasons, but also the day the LA Weekly is delivered to my apartment complex. When I first moved into the Spanish modeled studios, I took the grand tour and noticed right in the middle of my exploration, a newspaper stand full of LA Weekly manuscripts. Excited, I took my first copy up to my room and flipped frantically through the matte pages.

The first issue I read was about “Sex in THIS City” which was a clever title and was definitely an interesting array of stories. I learned many things I did not necessarily want to know about the city’s sex life as you can only imagine. Needless to say I started following LA Weekly on Twitter and have ever since been a fan.

The recent issue (April 8-14) focuses on a few different topics; traffic, the new “Doyer Dog”, and its feature story about Kevin Smith (former filmmaker).

To be honest, I found the article on the Doyer Dog more interesting than the story on Kevin Smith- a young crude filmmaker who somehow made it big in Hollywood. Whatever the case may be, the Doyer Dog now offered at the Dodger Stadium reminded me of the history of its existence and the area in which it was built upon.

As the article states, “The beloved Dodger Dog is getting a Mexi-themed hermano, the Doyer Dog”, I thought to myself, why? Of course the catchy nickname has stuck with the Dodgers for quite some time, but why at this moment is there a need to uplift the stadium’s Spanish roots? Then I finished reading the article and found that the new hot dog would be charged $12 for one pup. Ridiculous! So basically, Frank McCourt (owner and co-chairman of the LA Dodger’s and Dodger Stadium) wants to cash-in on its Spanish audience (yet again). However, this delicatessen does make the mouth water; it's loaded with chili, nacho cheese, chopped tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos. Personally, I think this would have been an interesting feature story; I would have liked to hear more about this development on behalf of Dodger Stadium and more about why the sudden interest in creating Spanish affiliated product. Until then, I guess I’ll just give in and try a Doyer Dog.


-Chelsea Vogt

-Photo credit hornpmshow.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment