Thursday, April 21, 2011

California Squirrels: They're Unforgettable



LOS ANGELES, definitely isn't known for its wildlife. We don't have "deer crossing" signs within the city and the only animals we see while passing through usually have to be scraped off the pavement within four hours. While the majority of animals are domesticated others are just a very long way from home. This absence of animal competition may be what allows the squirrels to thrive in L.A. Leave it to Hollywood to attract the irregular actresses, singers, dancers...... and squirrels. They really do have a couple things in common! They can use their looks to charm people out of being angry with them. They're prone to stage fright. Their eclectic diet's consist of random things. And sometimes, not always, but sometimes everything is all about them (this only pertains to those in the L.A. region, I'm sure it's not like that anywhere else.....).
Walking around LMU's campus I literally have to divert my walking path to avoid stepping on squirrels. Fighting my inner temptation to boot them back into the bushes, I look them straight in the eyes as if to communicate: "this is my turf. Beat it, Esse." I'm sure they get it. From outside my window I catch them looking in spying on me and I can't tell if they wish to be apart of the Hannon 122 family, or if they're plotting something big. I get a little nervous I'm not going to lie.

I used to find them entertaining; running around frantically in zigzag patterns along the sidewalk. To my Hawaiian friends the "sqwur-ell's" served as a brand new species and they couldn't get over how cute and funny they were. Even just last weekend my grandmother was on campus and she suddenly stopped everyone's conversation and directed our attention towards a nearby squirrel with a half eaten piece of pizza in its mouth. She saw an innocent animal with quirky behavior-- I saw a thief!

I may be overreacting to the behavior of these varmints, I'm just tired of having to redirect my steps in order to not inconvenience them. I'm curious, are they like this everywhere else? I've done a bit of traveling and have never noticed the squirrel's in other places. Is that because they act like normal squirrel's and keep to themselves? Being one of the main subjects of wildlife, they're all-about-me characteristics represent the area frightfully well. Maybe my irritation lies with the bigger picture of L.A. but is being manifested through its all-star rodents. In that case, there's further observing to be done. To the sidewalk I go!

--J. Garcia


image: squirrel on barbed wire, via you are here, los angeles photo gallery

3 comments:

  1. This post immediately made me laugh, mainly because I can relate to your sentiments. I remember my freshman year having a face-off with one of the infamous squirrels. He faced me on the sidewalk and would not scurry out of my way. I had to be the one to alter my course and walk around him. As a LMU Tour Guide, one of the first things parents and potential students marvel at are the seemingly innocent rodents that infiltrate our campus. I break their spirits and inform them they are not as cute and cuddly as they think they are. However, I can see why these animals may come off as charming and alluring initially. Being in LA people do not expect animals to be roaming free. But on the contrary, being up on the bluff we still can experience wildlife in our diverse setting. From my apartment I watch hawks circle and frogs serve as my alarm clock in the morning. And wasn't it just last year we had a "mountain lion" sighting outside campus? Hmm... To think that we are still part of greater Los Angeles but can have our own sort of animal environment is something to be proud of at the same time... despite the inconveniences the squirrels bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So yesterday, I'm driving into my driveway and two squirrels are fighting over an orange quarter that's dropped from a tree. It got pretty nasty. I actually couldn't believe it.
    I immediately thought of you and the pizza observation!
    Hilarious.
    L.G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reilly was so right to say that we still get a view of wildlife from our campus. On the way to my room from the parking lot last night I saw an abnormally large raccoon sneaking behind a car, then as I turned the corner there was an abnormally large possum! The random animals that can be found in Los Angeles are huge!

    ReplyDelete