Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Chelsea Vogt -- Genius Loci: Essence of LA






This picture was taken atop the escalator of the Beverly Center in Beverly Hills. If you look closely, you can see the stem of a rainbow among the clouds in the distance. This picture (to me) emphasizes LA's essence because although some may perceive the city negatively, one can always find beauty amidst the glorious metropolis.

























The Ahmanson Theatre located directly off of the 101 Freeway and the famous Figueroa St. features a multitude of broadway plays and musicals. The structure has been around for 40 years and has an ongoing fountain in the front of the plaza. This architectural structure illustrates one of the gems LA has to offer adjacent to a freeway onramp.










This mural off of Main St. in Venice captivates the reoccurring theme of graffitti art in LA. "Remember Who You Are" depicted on the wall further emphasizes the distinctiveness of Los Angeles as a whole.















As I was driving down a residential street in Santa Monica, I noticed the palm trees looked symmetrical and almost iconic. This picture was taken as the sun was setting and reminds me of my hometown in Huntington Beach. This photograph captures LA's essence in my perspective, because I found a little piece of home in the place I now consider my second home.












This picture was taken on Rose St. in Venice. I pulled over immediately because I saw an array of murals and graffiti on these walls and thought this is definitely a signature of Los Angeles.


-Chelsea Vogt

No comments:

Post a Comment